It's About The Horse Forum Index It's About The Horse
The Free Forum for those Doing Parelli - and a whole lot More! "Anything forced and misunderstood can never be beautiful." Xenophon (430-355 B.C.),

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swollen Hock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's About The Horse Forum Index -> Medical and Nutrition Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horse Gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Swollen Hock Reply with quote

My horse fell pretty bad a few weeks ago and hurt his hock and I think his stifle also, but the stifle seems better now-  I did keep him in for the first week- but once the initial swelling came down -I was cold hosing and rubbing with all sorts of concoctions kelp liniment-  arnica emu salve- -  Then I let him back out again after that because he was pacing and working himself into a sweat being confined and I thought it would be better that he get some rest.  I have sort of ignored him for the past few weeks just to see- but I am giving him Flax about 3 ounces and an herbal mix with comfrey l and some other stuff.   He has gotten better-- but his hock is still swollen and a little warmer than the other--  I am not surprised he really wiped out I thought he may have broke something at the time.   But considering how quickly he was back to pacing like a fool I think he probably pulled something and just over strained himself in general.

Since I am pretty broke right now I have not brought him to the vet.  At the time of the injury I didn't bring him because of the money and because it requires going down a big mountain pass to get there and he seemed too hurt to tolerate that ride.  

So  I am wondering what should I put on it externally to help it heal or give internally to help it heal.  Ignoring it is not working.   Although the six inches of snow  that we just got seem to do it some good.
jokersmama

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try cutting DMSO with mineral ice or furazone, 1/3 DMASO 2/3 mineral ice or furazone, wrapping it with plastic wrap then a fleece wrap then vet wrap then duct tape and leave it for 24 -48 hours. You have to make sure it is REALLY clean first though and not wrap it too tight.

That's what my old cowboy remedy friend tells me she would do.

Bad Apple/Golden Apple society member

"I'd rather be seen for who I am and be alone...than be accepted for someone I'm not and be lonely"~Brock Tully
Hosslass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading your description I would suspect there's a fluid pocket in the tendon or ligament sheath from strain, it could be a bit cosmetic at this point. But sometimes you never know how these little lumps and bumps can affect horses, esp. in a joint like the hock.

I agree with trying a poultice on the hock for at least 24 hours. Be careful with DMSO/Furacin wraps, they can scruf (mild blister) the skin. I tend to like a clay/mineral spirits poultice.  If you don't know how to wrap a poultice be sure you find out; wrapping the wrong way can cause the poultice to dry out too fast and not be very benificial to the horse. Wrapping the hock is very tricky too!! (been there, done that, learned the hard way!!!)

Sometimes these little lumps go away on their own. But it sounds like to me he's strained that tendon and will need some time to heal. Once those tendons and ligaments get strained and torn they have a tendency to be more prone to injury in the future. So just keep an eye on it.
Horse Gypsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think he needs time to heal also-- that is why I am reluctant to go to the vet so he can tell me for 200 bucks that he needs time to rest.  I was thinking of doing a sweat on it- that is what my sister said also-  but I was thinking of doing a more natural poultice of some sort-  He was really lame- now he is just sort of lame-  I can tell it still is bothering him-- which is good  because if it wasn't hurting he would be right back to doing the things that made him hurt himself to begin with.  I have never done a clay poultice that I made myself-  I was thinking of making a mash of flax seeds and comfrey and wrapping that on-  the think that sucks is he will not stand still if in a stall or small pen- even if I put another horse next to him.  
I will not do injections- and I am not giving him pain meds-  I don't even mind if he has to have a lot of time off-  just want him to get better.
Hosslass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a nice article by a vet on how to wrap a hock, you might find it useful for your situation.

http://www.dclahdvm.com/Articles/HockBandages.htm

The poultice I use is Uptite poultice, you can order it online or some feed stores might carry it. It has natural ingredients and has been around for a long time.

That's good you're not in a hurry for your horse to be used, I've had horses with tendon/ligament injuries take anywhere from 3 months to 18 months to be as sound as they were before the injury. Each horse is different! Good luck!
joy2ride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: homeopathic Reply with quote

If my horse had swelling from an injury I would use Arnica 30c 4 little pills every hour or when you can.

Ruta Tox muscular strain, sprains, torn ligaments. 30c

Ruta Grav after initial swelling decreases. 6c

When I first bought homeopathic I first purchased from a health food store.

I now purchase from a homeopathyworks.com

A healthy horse the natural Way by Catherine Bird I hight recommend.

Maryann

Parelli savvy username: maryannsenecal
Horse Gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Maryann-  I will try that and check out that book-  It is still swollen and warm- but I have been too busy to really do much to it-  I am going to have to make it a priority.  I think it is just going to take time to get better.

What do you guys think?  should I bring him to the Vet?   I am really down on vets right now because it always seems that 500 later they don't tell you anything that you don't already know-  I think he must have pulled something in there-  on the inside of his hock-  I have done some research and a hock injury can take months to heal.    I couldn't afford surgery and I don't want to do steroid injections- and I am not giving him pain killers or anti inflammatory 's because this horse is a freak and he needs to be in pain to take it easy.  
I have promised myself I am not going to put any extra money into horses this year - because I have to get my house finished and that has to be a priority we have already spent numerous Montana winters ruffing it.
Julie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anti inflammatories are just what they say - I would use these, just to take down the inflammation. also use the homeopathic remedies suggested
Horse Gypsy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What anti inflammatory drugs do you use?  I know Butte is one and I have some - but I am concerned that he will over do it if it isn't sore.  I think my vet would give me whatever I asked for with out seeing the horse.  I have Banamine but that is too pricey to use all the time.  I have tried putting him in a stall or small pen- this horse is a pain to manage- but he paces until he is in a sweat- unless one particular horse baby sits him- and It just isn't fair to the other horse to be locked in all day for weeks at a time.    So he is out on about 35 acres right now, and usually the herd takes it easy the leader is well into his 20s and just wants to eat and sleep-  but if this horse feels good he runs around- he must be feeling a little better because he was running a little yesterday.  
I did start rubbing arnica on it and that does seem to help- probably should be cold hosing also.
joy2ride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: I wouldn't use the butte Reply with quote

I wouldn't use the butte. The reason is it will make the horse put weight on something he shouldn't.

Ledum for swelled hock

My mare got injured almost 2 weeks ago she went under a round pen fence. Cut above eye and between her legs. I gave her Arnica right away. Husband said take her to the vet. His mare so after 235.00.

He reopened the wound above her eye to stitch. Vet said I can't believe this happened last night. I think she did it in the morning. Arnica was working.  When I brought her eye was open. After her eye was closed swelled more for stitches. Just rinsed every thing off.

I rinsed her off water and tea tree oil and wound balm. Couple days of Arnica. Ledum to prevent infection. Ruta Tox as inside upper leg was swollen.Then Ruta Grav when swelling went down. She is all better.

Would I take her again. No.

Bought the book on ebay around 10.00

If he rests more out let him out. He is going to heal faster if he isn't upset pacing.

Horse Gypsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maryann for the input--  The leg is looking better swelling is down-  I have been rubbing arnica on it and I finally went to town and got some more stuff to experiment with.  But I think he is feeling better- another couple of weeks and I think he will be back to himself- I hope.  I am thinking of giving him a whole year off-  I pretty much stopped riding him last October for a lot of reasons= so I think I may just give him until October to rest- unless he wants to play on the ground-- because of all the research I have done on the back muscles-  I think he needs that time to rehab anyhow.  
I haven't given him Butte,  I know him too well,  he needs to feel the injury or extreme things happen-- if it was a different horse I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it but RBE  anything to slow them down.   Carey
joy2ride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Healing Reply with quote

Hey Carey
Horses have an amazing ability to heal. If given the time.
I have been so happy with the homeopathics.
I have seen them work and our part is patience somtimes.
Homeopathic for your kiddos too. I no longer have over the counter it all went in the garbage.
Best to your RBE

Maryann

Post new topic   Reply to topic    It's About The Horse Forum Index -> Medical and Nutrition Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: